Ads in Telegram. Beginner guide to advertising in one of the most popular messaging apps
Telegram – a cost-free communicator enabling great privacy – is becoming more and more popular all over the world. It was launched in 2013 by brothers Pavel and Nikolai Durov and in early 2021 had 500 million users per month. It sounds like a perfect place for marketers, doesn’t it?
Let’s start with the basics. Telegram is a cloud-based messaging app and works on different devices such as smartphones, computers and tablets. It allows users to send not only text messages but also share photos, videos and files. It offers 1-to-1 chats but you can also create some groups and channels there to better communicate with a bigger audience.
Although Telegram defends itself with all its strength against advertising in the communicator, a breakthrough is expected this year. You know – such official, because marketing in Telegram is possible even now, but we’ll talk about it a little bit later.
That moment when Telegram decides to earn some money...
Pavel Durov (known as Mark Zuckerberg from Russia) started Telegram with his own money and so far he hasn’t earned even a penny on it. He also has no plans to sell it to any giant. So monetization would be… Already advisable. Especially when Telegram wants to gain strength and be close to its main rivals – WhatsApp and Signal.
That’s why Durow plans to release additional paid functions in Telegram dedicated for business users and what interests us the most – an ad platform. Not much is known about it yet. However, as Durow mentioned, Telegram ads won’t be aggressive and will respect privacy.
As Durov said – „Users who rely on Telegram as a messaging app, not a social network, will never see ads. Private chats and group chats are and will always be ad-free”. „We think that displaying ads in private 1-to-1 chats or group chats is a bad idea. Communication between people should be free of advertising of any sort” – he summed up.
It’s also known that Telegram’s advertising platform won’t use user data as WhatsApp does. Additionally, it’s announced to repair the current advertising opportunities – on the channels. And here we come to the point. How do businesses advertise in Telegram nowadays? And how to do it to take full advantage of Telegram’s potential?
How to make money with Telegram?
Marketing in Telegram’s channel
How does it work?
Channel is currently one of the best options for publishing advertising materials in Telegram. In fact, it’s a bit like a Facebook group, but with one exception – only administrators can publish content on it.
It allows you to create a thematic channel and publish content to a large audience which has no limit on the number. Regardless of whether you text, image or video promoting your products, ads or services – subscribers of your channel will be notified about it and nobody will miss your messages.
What are the biggest advantages of advertising in the Telegram channel?
- By posting links, you can drive traffic to other destinations – social media or your website.
- You don’t have to worry about your budget. Marketing in the Telegram channel is completely free. It sounds good, doesn’t it?
- You can easily increase your customers’ engagement. Although they cannot publish their own content on the channels, they can follow the links you post and answer the questions you ask them in a survey. In addition, you can see the number of views of your posts.
- You’re building a community based on trust. Your subscribers know immediately about all discounts, special offers and news. And from here it’s really close to sales.
Marketing in Telegram’s group
As long as the channel is a one-way form of communication – groups in Telegram allows your customers to publish their content too. If you’re wondering what will work better – a channel or a group – our answer is… Set up both. Why, exactly?
The group on Telegram would be a great addition to your channel. It can have up to 200,000 members, and its status can be private (you send invitations to your clients) or public (anyone can find you). Thanks to it, you can be in touch with your clients all the time and offer them your support. They ask – you answer. Communication, trust and engagement – these are the components that very often contribute to sales and which you can achieve by running a group on Telegram.
What’s the best part of it all? You can automate your activities in the Telegram thanks to special bots. Chatbots will work according to the scenario you set and allow you to save time and resources – free of charge.
I already have a channel and group in Telegram – what’s next?
Now it’s time to promote your account. Let people know about it! What are your options in this regard? Here are some ideas.
- Collaborate with others using cross-promotion. Find other channels and groups in Telegram that also fit your niche and try to spread your influence within them.
- Advertise your Telegram account on the social media you already have. Let your community find you elsewhere too and let them know about it not only through your posts, but also through advertising campaigns.
- Visit community forums, find threads that suit your niche, and advertise your Telegram account in them.
What can Telegram marketing mainly do for you? Nice range, good communication with customers and increasing their engagement, driving traffic to the website and ultimately – increasing sales. That’s right – advertising in Telegram really pays off. Maybe it’s time to have a try?